Lankans on a dream run ~ Cricket Blog - THE COMMENTARY BOX



Thursday, April 26, 2007

Lankans on a dream run

This World Cup is not springing surprises at us. There is more a shooting spree of surprises going on here.

Let me be very frank. A month ago, not in my wildest dreams had I imagined a World Cup 2007 final with Sri Lanka in it. New Zealand, South Africa and Australia were the favourite choices going around and Sri Lanka were far behind at maybe No.5 or No.6 on my list. And yet here I am now finding the Lankan lions roaring from hilltops announcing their arrival. They are looking really good, no doubt, but then I have to say I don't really see them winning the World Cup. It would all be too romantic of course to have them repeat their World Cup 1996 feat where they ended up surprising everybody by clinching victory against Australia and taking the World Cup away with them but then most romantic dreams do remain unfulfilled(this ain't bollywood men!).
Australians are here with a mission and that is to grab a hitherto unheard of feat of a hat-trick of World Cup victories. And dare I say that they WILL end up achieving it. Remember that we are talking about a raging tornado that has so very concincingly demolished every opposition on it's way to the finals with no fuss whatsoever.This team just can't lose.

No comments: