The Ashes arrive and Australia roar form the word go. ~ Cricket Blog - THE COMMENTARY BOX



Thursday, November 23, 2006

The Ashes arrive and Australia roar form the word go.

The most awaited cricket series of the year, the 2006 Ashes are here at last! And the cricket
world is left wondering if the Ashes will keep up to the hype.

The first day has come to an end and the English are left looking like a shadow of the team that won the Ashes in 2005. It was Australia all through the day. And I hope it is not Australia all through the series. Of course, being a neutral observer, I dont have any favourites, but if cricket has to win, the games have got to be close enough. A 3–2 scoreline would be the best, right?

The previous Ashes series was so great a success only because of the unpredictable nature of the games till the last ball was sent down. I can still recall the wicket Harmisson took in the very last over. What an absorbing cricket match that was!

I am yearning for a repeat. We all are. And I hope it happens. But somehow against all my hoping, I have a feeling Australia are going to rout England. The home advantage will play a huge role. Combine it with the high quality cricketing talent that runs through the Australian ranks and you have a very potent force that will take a mammoth effort to defeat. Again I hope England can produce that mammoth effort. Nothing wrong in hoping after all……

No comments: